Monday 29 February 2016

These Boots Were Made For Walking: Hallam Moors and Redmires

Continuing my exploration of the moorland to the west of Sheffield I eventually managed to get to see two of the places I really wanted to look at, the Head Stone and Oaking Clough reservoir. To get to the gate that gives access to the short ascent to the moorland I followed the path through Fox Hagg from Redmires Road, past the car park and picnic area at Rivelin reservoir then up the wide path between the resevoir and Wyming Brook.



A narrow path leads off the main track and after a short climb through the trees leads to a kissing gate then up to the rock formation that marks the start of a plateau strewn with grit stone rocks. The views from up here on a clear day are pretty stunning and you can spend quite a while taking it all in. I also spotted a good location for a bit of wild camping but that's for another time.



Easily accessible via a short detour from the path is the large block of grit stone known as the Head Stone. This outstanding feature of the moor rises from a sea of boulders and is so named due to the facial features that can be seen from the right angle.



From the Head Stone I retraced my steps back to the main path then headed up the moor, through a gap in the wall to a bridge crossing a man made conduit. At this point I took a turn to the right, over a stile to follow the conduit to Oaking Clough Reservoir with its derelict water works cabin. It's a detour of about a mile but well worth it and a great place to stop for a break.



Retracing my steps once again I made my way back to the bridge and over to Redmires past Hill 60, the training ground of the Sheffield Pals. The Sheffield Pals Battalion was made up of 100% volunteers from Sheffield and were one of the first battalions "over the top" at the Battle of the Somme. 



A very easy, if a little muddy, stroll around the three Redmires Resevoirs brought me to Soughley Lane. From there I followed the Redmires conduit, dropping off the gritted path to walk through the woods, emerging at the playing fields behind the Sportsman pub and a short walk to the bus terminus.

No comments:

Post a Comment