Wednesday 23 May 2018

Burbage Valley Wild Camp


Six months after my hip replacemant I finally felt fit and confident enough to take on a wild camp. The spot I chose is a small wood in Burbage valley. This is pretty much the only woodland remaining in the area due to some major deforestation last year.


After getting to Lodge Moor by bus I had a great walk around Redmires reservoir and along Stanage Edge to follow Burbage Brook down to the woods near Higgar Tor. As light faded I made camp just inside the woods, out of sight off anyone who may still be passing by.


I awoke bright and early at five a.m. as the valley gradually flooded with sunlight. I had plenty of time to hang out by the brook just enjoying the morning since the cafe I was headed for was only two miles away and doesn't open until nine. 


All packed up and leaving no trace I continued down the valley to cross the road into the Longshaw Estate and make my way down Padley Gorge to Grindleford Station Cafe for a brew and a sausage butty before the train home.


No comments:

Post a Comment