Friday 29 January 2016

These Boots Were Made For Walking: Wyming Brook and Rivelin Valley


On the western outskirts of Sheffield, bordering the Peak District is an area riddled with footpaths and bridleways ideal for walking any time of year. Lodge Moor is easily accessible and marks the gateway to Wyming Brook, Redmires and Hallam Moors.
In a slight change to my usual walking habits I elected to go for a linear walk going from Wyming Brook down past Rivelin Reservoir then along Rivelin Valley. Most of the time I prefer a round walk with a convenient start/finish point but good transport links at both ends of this walk make a linear route a good option.
Although the colours are more subdued and the lighting pretty flat at this time of year the raised water levels causing the brook to rush along at a fair pace adds a dynamic counterpoint to the tranquility of the woodland and I found myself spending a lot of time just watching the water rush by.
There are pubs at both ends of the route should refreshment be needed along with cafes at Rivelin, Malin Bridge and Hillsborough. I can recommend the Base Camp Cafe in Towsure, I had a large sausage butty and large mug of tea for £3.50, just the job after an afternoons rambling.








No comments:

Post a Comment