Tuesday 18 December 2012

Dan Baird and Homemade Sin @ O2 Academy, Sheffield

Having been a big fan of the Georgia Satellites in years past this gig was gonna be unmissable as far as I was concerned. Dan Baird's current band Homemade Sin comprises of Dan (of course) on guitar and lead vocals with former Satellites Mauro Magellan on drums and Keith Christopher on bass along with legendary Warner E. Hodges (Jason & the Scorchers) on lead guitar.
Dan's style is predominantly highly fuelled country/blues, in parts even what some would describe as cowpunk or alternate country. No matter what you wanna call it, this bands performance really hits the spot. 
It was a great experience to see a band of this pedigree so up close in a small local venue and it was obvious that the band enjoyed playing just as much as we enjoyed listening.
More info, CD, DVD, tour dates at Dan Baird and Homemade Sin.

I couldn't blog about this gig without mentioning the two excellent support bands that helped make this a particularly good night.

I got to the show early as a really wanted to see local band Roaming Son. These guys had been recommended to me a few weeks ago so I was pretty chuffed to find they were playing support. 
Roaming Son are very rockabilly influenced but with more accent on the rock rather than the billy, if you get my drift. I very much enjoyed what I heard and hope to see them play a full set of their own sometime soon. Watch this space.



Although they seemed a little low key for some of the rock audience I really took to main support Charlie Lankester and The Mojo Killers. Charlie has a history of working with many well known and influential musicians and this comes across very well with the guys he's now playing with. 
This fine blues band provided an excellent counterpoint to the more upbeat bands before and after and had me rooted to the spot for their entire set. Their first album "Song in a Minor Key" was released in September and it's on my Xmas list.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment